The Cascade Triple Crown mountain biking route goes over three peaks / ridges near Mt. Rainier: Chrystal Mountain, Noble Knob / Palisades ridge, and Sun Top Mountain. I didn’t find any official route, so I patched one together with as little pavement as possible. With a modified starting point at the Sun Top trailhead, this ride is now part of the Evergreen Endurance Series.
- Start at the Ranger Creek parking area across the bridge
- Ride pavement/Silver Creek dirt road/pavement to Chrystal Mountain trailhead
- Go up on Chrystal Mountain trail, down via Henskin Lake and Silver Creek trails, then Gold Hill dirt road
- Connect to the Corral Pass Road via paved section and Silver Creek dirt road
- Ride Noble Knob, Dalles Ridge, Palisades trails to
- White River trail to the Ranger Creek trailhead
- Cross Hwy 410 and the bridge to Skookum Flats trail. Take it to north to NF-7315
- Ride NF-7315 to the Sun Top lookout
- Ride Sun Top trail down to the Ranger Creek Airstrip road
Route stats: 63 miles, 13k ft., GPX track
I started at 9:15 am and finished after 13h:17m. The weather was absolutely foggy / dewy. Riding Sun Top trail in the dark, I was sometimes not able to see more than 15 ft. due to the fog. My glasses were covered in dew going up Chrystal Mountain, my gloves were completely soaked, as was my shirt. Humidity was near 100%, but temperature only near 65 F max. Perhaps the best view was had at the top of Chrystal Mountain where I was able to see for a few hundred feet to the restaurant. Someone tried to break into my car at the Ranger Creek parking lot – I suggest you park somewhere more populated.